Friday, May 22, 2009

I PASSED THE COMPREHENSIVE EXAM ON THE 1ST TRY!!!!

The comprehensive exam is an exam written by our friends at the NBME (they also write the shelf exams and the boards). It covers all of the first two years of medical school and can be considered a "practice" exam for the first set of boards, known as Step 1. My school is unique in that you must past the comprehensive exam to be eligible to take Step 1 (most schools just use the comprehensive exam as a tool to measure where a student is weak, but most schools do not mandate that all students take it). Anyway, my school not only makes us take it, pass it with an equivalent score to passing the boards, they also will expel you if you cannot pass it in three attempts. Now, it should also be noted that most people spend 1-3 months preparing before taking Step 1 so it would make sense that my school should have us ample time to prepare for the "pre-test" since they expect that we would score high enough to pass the boards. Rather than 1-3 months, we get about 14 days. Needless to say, it is extremely important and extremely difficult and I've heard that anywhere from 40-60% of people from my school do not earn an equivalent score to passing Step 1 on the first try. I can't express how relieved and proud I am that I passed on the first try.

From now until August, I'll study for the boards in addition to starting my 3rd year of medical school and then from September until November it will be full study for Step 1. Today is a great day!

1 comment: