Monday, September 8, 2008

A Friday in Buneos Aires

Friday morning, we went to brunch at another little cafe. We both order a sort of weird dish. It was turkey, ham, pineapple, peaches and cream. Well, it was exactly THAT on a plate. To my surprise, it was pretty yummy, but I don't think I'll order it again. Next, we decided to explore "the mall" known as the Galerias Pacifico, which was about three or four blocks from our hotel. Well, this was one heck of a mall!! It looks a lot like the Venetian in Las Vegas. Farley and I didn't like the shopping as much as the street level because the mall was much more commercialized--we LOVED the local merchants on the street!! However, the mall was beautiful. Above: The ceiling of the street level of the Galerias Pacifico.

Above: the ceiling of the basement. Doesn't it look like a church?

The fountain on the basement of the "mall."

We had such a great time!!! After exploring the mall, we walked around the streets looking into little mom and pop shops (on the search for shoes and handbags...oh and ties, can you guess who those were for??) I found the cutest little wedge, brown round toe shoes and I got a great bargain! I wasn't intending on buying shoes in Buneos Aires, but I had a pair of cheap brown heals for our introduction to clinical medicine (we have to dress up) and I wore them one day and managed to get enormous blisters and couldn't walk in them (or any other shoe) comfortably for over a week.

For our anniversary, Farley took me out to the most amazing evening of wine, food and tango! We heard from several locals that THE place to see a tango show is La Ventana. First, they picked us up at the hotel, then we had a great dinner. There were three courses. We both had excellent veggie soup, then Farley had steak and potatoes and I had pork chops and sweet potatoes and then we had dessert. I had the most amazing Flan--oh my, my mouth is watering just thinking about it and Farley had fruit cocktail. There was a live orchestra, a parade of dancers, several singers, a traditional Argentinan Band, a gaucho (who did a tap like dance and used these traditional balls on stings, used to hunt--sorry don't know the name of them). They even did a portion of Evita, the famous musical. Here are some of the many pictures.

Farley and I before dinner was served.


Above: The restaurant has their own wine and it was yummy!
Below: The ceiling was really pretty with the stained glass


Above: one of the amazing tango dancers, who looks a LOT like my mom.



Above: one of the singers performing from Evita.

Below: the dancers after the completion of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment