Saturday, September 6, 2008

I close my eyes and I'm back, back in Argentina....

Every time I close my eyes, I'm back in Argentina. I hear the click-clack of the stiletto heals on the cobblestone streets, I feel the brisk early spring breeze on my skin, I see the tango dancers and hear the tango music, I smell the coffee and the fire roasted steak and then I open my eyes to realize that I'm not in Argentina anymore.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008--the day it all started on . The taxi arrived at 4:40am to take us to the airport. I barely slept all night. I couldn't wait to get to Buneos Aires, but I was also afraid because I don't speak any Spanish. I wasn't sure about the LONG trip. We had to stop in Antigua for a half hour, during which we had to go back through security two more times. Yes, we went through security three times before being allowed to board the plane to Puerto Rico. Finally we arrived in Puerto Rico, hoping to rush through check in so that we could sit and sip coffee; however, the airlines didn't open up until several hours after we arrived at the airport, so we sat outside the airlines waiting for them to open. Luckily, we still had several hours in which to enjoy a coffee before the flight to Panama. Farley and I both slept the whole way to Panama City, but Copa, the most amazing airlines I've ever flown, served a small meal--the flight was only two and a half hours! We had a two hour lay over in Panama and there was basically a mall inside the Panama airport. There were 40 gates at this terminal and a million designer stores. You could get any perfume you desired, European chocolate, Designer handbags, but you cannot get a Panama shot glass (sorry Dad, your collection will be one country short) nor could you get anything to eat besides a hot dog!!! That's right a hot dog! Okay, that isn't quite fair as there was ONE restaurant with a thirty person line and two hot dog stands---realistically, a hot dog was the best option. We got on the plane for Buneos Aires at 9:00pm and I was ready to get back to sleep. However, I was also really hungry. Luckily, Copa (the amazing airlines) severed spaghetti and meatballs. I had to wake up Farley because I don't speak a lick of Spanish--he didn't seem too happy with me, but I think we both needed a hot meal and it wasn't too bad (honestly, it was better than some of the meals I've had in Dominica). After leaving Dominica at 4:30 am, going to Antigua, Putero Rico, and Panama we finally arrived in Buneos Aires at 6:00am local time on Thursday, August 28th. After about 24-hours of traveling, we were both tired but incredibly excited. We checked our bags at the front desk of the Grand King Hotel then headed out to observe the city. We were about 100 feet from the intersection of Florida Street and Lavalle, which were two of the hottest pedestrian streets in Argentina and where lots of street performers put on their acts. However, there are not any street performers at 7:00am. So, we grabbed a nice breakfast in a little cafe then waited back at the hotel reading books until they could get us into our room at 11:00 so we could take a nap.


By mid-afternoon we were back on the streets and the streets were alive. First we walked to the right of our hotel, which in about six blocks led to the pier. There were tons of restaurants, boats, historic monuments, and the beautiful bridge below. I'm not sure of the name of it, but it is very famous. There were people all over and this is when Farley and I first realized that Buneos Aires is a city of lovers. They were all over holding hands, embracing, kissing....not just the young teenagers but lovers of all ages. I'm sure it's just a cultural difference, but it was a bit surprising at first to see two grandparents embracing like teenagers on the street corner.



After we left the pier, we walked toward some government buildings. We weren't sure exactly what buildings they were until we took the city tour on Saturday morning. Apparently, this is the government building, but the Casa Rosa (Pink House) is across town (the Pink House is the equivalent of the White House and I'll show you pictures later). We didn't get any amazing pictures of the government buildings near the pier (that's right, in the 400 pictures we took of the city, we didn't get a great one of the government buildings near the pier). After looking at the government buildings, we decided to head back to our hotel and the streets were alive. The street performers were starting to come out, all the little shops were open so obviously we decided to do some shopping. The US Dollar is worth about 2.65 to 1 Argentina peso, but the small shop owners would give 3.00-3.20 a dollar. Obviously, I wanted to look for a handbag in Buneo Aires so we wandered into a leather store. There were more leather stores than one could count. I've never been a huge fan of leather jackets, but I saw a couple beautiful jackets at the first store we went into. The first one I tried on, I fell in love with and I bought. It is amazing how reasonable the jackets are in Argentina. The place I bought my jacket in was owned by a family and the shop was up stairs. They would have made any of the sample jackets into any color and any size--for the same price. The one that I bought looked as though it was made just for me--no alterations needed. As I type this, my beautiful leather jacket is in a giant zip lock back and stored in a suite case until I return into Spokane. After leaving the jacket store, Farley and I kept looking in stores. One kind woman asked us to come into her family's leather store. The first jacket Farley tried on fit beautifully. There were racing stripes on the sleeves and I thought that was a bit too trendy, but the jacket was beautiful. So, the saleswoman gave him the same jacket without the racing stripes to try on. It was perfect! Farley wanted to sleeves a little shorter, which they included in the price of the jacket--so he obviously bought it. So, we didn't get matching t-shirts in Argentina, we got matching leather jackets.


















We went back to the hotel about 8:00 to get ready for dinner, as the Argentineans don't eat until 10:00-12:00 at night. We headed out about 10:30 for dinner. We ended up at La Estancia. It is a meat extravaganza!!!!! When you walk into the restaurant there are two glassed in meat cooking places. To the right, is a fire pit with meat near the fire to the left, is a grill---a giant, enormous grill.






1 comment:

  1. Wow! Amazing trip you two had from the sounds of it. Thanks for sharing. I love you leather jacket by the way - I would have wanted one too!

    Well I hope this rejuvenated you for the next semester.

    Tell Farley hi for me. Take care.

    ReplyDelete