Sunday, August 15, 2010

LOLNAD: Little Old Lady in No Acute Distress

There is a very famous book about on doctor's intern year of his medical training (the intern year is the first year of residency) called "The House of God" by Samuel Shem, MD.  Apparently this book is very humorous and exposes all of the horrible things about medical training, as the intern year is suppose to be one of the hardest years in all of the medical training.  Farley just finished this book and has been telling me about it, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.  Throughout this book are many acronyms and other terms which have become part of the medical lingo.  They were probably around before this book was published in 1980, but they have become more popularized because of this book.  One of those acronyms is LOLNAD: Little Old Lady in No Acute Distress.  I think I have seen half of the LOLNADs in Miami in the last week and just about every one I saw was hilarious.

First there were the two sisters.  They were both madly in love with the doctor that I was working with.  The 89-year-old looked like she was in her late 50s and the younger one was in her early 80s.  The 89-year-old was giving lots of health advise, which maybe better than advise you can get from the average doctors since she looked 30 years younger than she was.  She said that the reason her younger sister had so many health problems was because she didn't exercise enough, drink enough or have enough sex.  The 89-year-old said that you must exercise regularly, you must have one or two drinks per day (she preferred wine or gin) and you must have as much sex as possible.  Then the 89-year-old decided it was a great time to hit on the doctor, whose wife was the office manager.  She said something like, "My sisters and I all love this doctor.  But I don't just want him for a doctor, I want him as a man."  It was a little awkward in the room with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment