Friday, October 31, 2008

I'm not alone!

I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer last night, yet I couldn't fall asleep because I wasn't sure I studied enough yesterday; thus, I was reviewing as I lay in bed until I drifted off to sleep. This morning, I skimmed the NY Times and an article caught my eye. It is written by a physician reflecting on medical school and in retrospect, how miserable she was. I'm not miserable (tired, but not miserable), but it was sure nice to see a successful woman physician talk openly (in print in a major newspaper) about how medical school isn't all that fun. I've talked with physicians from home about this which is always nice, but the timing of this article was great--just a few days before an exam.

4 comments:

  1. At least you have Farley to share in the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Kelly. And as Farley pointed out after reading the NY Times article, at least US medical students get hot showers and grocery stores! He also noted that our semesters are about 2-3 weeks shorter than US schools. We are lucky to have each other and not be stuck on this beautiful, but 3rd world country alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure how you can say you're not miserable. I was miserable/depressed through most of nursing school and that, I'm sure, is not half as challenging as what you're going through!!! Continue to do well. Glad to hear you're coming home for xmas. Sorry we got disconnected the other night. And I hope your test yesterday went well.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brenda,

    I don't feel miserable at all, but I do feel overwhelmed at times. I especially felt that way on Friday--just before the exam Tuesday. It was so nice to see that other people feel or have felt the same way. I am glad I decided to come down here to medical school. I'm just tired and want to sleep. Six more weeks until I get a 3 week break!!

    See you in December!

    ReplyDelete