Monday, March 2, 2009

Two short stories and a sunset

I'm no longer shocked by things I hear in Dominica. Today, within about five minutes, Farley and I heard two very strange things. First, a student who is starting classes in May came down to find an apartment and see the island. The strange part is that he wasn' t sure how to read his itinerary and thought he was leaving at 6:00am on the 5th when he was actually leaving 6th. I felt bad for him as he must have been overwhelmed with the culture shock of landing in the hot, hot Caribbean and then being in a poor third world country. Farley didn't have as much sympathy. Next, we tried to pay our rent; this the second time in three days I've been asked to come at another time. On Saturday, the worker said the credit card machine was down. Today the lady was more honest: she just didn't want to do it! She asked if we would come back tomorrow between 7:00am and 3:00pm because someone else could help us and then she added, but don't come after 3:00pm because I'll be working tomorrow at that time. I'm so glad Farley was with me and he talked her into taking our money so that the owner didn't kick us out of our apartments. Geeze, it shouldn't be that difficult to PAY someone, but I guess since she didn't own the place she didn't care if or when they got paid.

Here are some pictures from the beautiful sunset yesterday. I've got to get back to my studies as we have an exam on Monday. I think I'll be ready, but we have covered an amazing amount of information--if you want to say a little prayer for me, I'd appreciate it!

Above: Picture taken from my third floor balcony

Below: Picture taken from the end of my apartment's hall way on the third floor
The following pictures are taken from the end of my building facing the sea, at sea level:

The last one was taken about 10 minutes after the others and was again from the end of the hallway on the third story:

1 comment: