Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Holy Pathology Batman!

The pathology shelf was one heck of an exam. I don't think that there were just tertiary questions; I think there were quaternary questions! It was extremely difficult and I just hope it went okay. The next challenge is Friday at 1:00: Pharmacology Shelf. It is nice to have almost 48 hours between exams. I even had enough time to take a much needed nap this afternoon. I'm excited to finish up this semester, but then we have to take the comprehensive exam, then the shelf (1st set of boards). The hard work is just beginning.

I put on picture of a pterygium on this post because it links bats and pathology. Ptergiums earned their name from a Greek root meaning, Greek, “like a wing.” I, for one, can definitely see the a similarity between the pteryguium and the fruit bat wing (Yes, there are fruit bats in Dominica and yes, they are ugly).

For anyone who wants to learn more, a pteryguium is a benign growth of conjunctiva on the nasal side of the sclera and it is an elastotic degeneration of collagen and fibrovascular proliferation. They are often found in people with sun exposure (no sunglasses) and unlike other similar eye problems, such as a pinguecula, pteryguiums often progressive and may involve the cornea if left unchecked.

1 comment: