Sunday, April 5, 2009

Let the games begin...

We have 21 days left on this little island and we are now beginning the exams. Tomorrow I will be taking my Introduction to Clinical Medicine Examination of the Physical Exam. There are four rooms and we have six minutes per room:
  1. "Harvey", which is a heart sound simulator that I must exam and diagnose
  2. Situation room, not the one with Wolff Blitzer, but a room with a patient who has one of 16 problems ( such as headache, blurry vision, numb feet). I have to do a general exam, one specific exam (in detail) and try to finish another specific exam for the problem.
  3. The other two rooms are task rooms where we are given a specific task, such as examine the Cerebellum or perform a pelvic exam.

After this fun exam, I have a week before I get to take another exam. Then we have three in three days--nothing like fun in the Caribbean! I probably should review for another hour or two before bed for the exam tomorrow. I think I've done probably 60 or 70 six minute exams on Farley in the last two days! We started reviewing for this exam months ago, so I'm sure it will go well. Unlike last semester, we are in the room with two professors (we also had 10 peers in the room last time). I'm not sure if that will be better or worse for my nerves, but I think the worst part of this exam is the nervousness of performing for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment