Sunday, July 22, 2012

New York, New York Day 3

On Tuesday, We took a tour of Manhattan.  In fact, we took the same tour that I did a couple weeks after moving to New York in 2010.  However, the tour had changed a little become of the opening of the World Trade Center Memorial and because we took the tour on a weekday rather than a weekend so we were able to see a few different things.  

First stop was St. John the Divine Cathedral in Upper Manhattan.  Construction started in 1892 and it isn't finished yet!  That is right, they have been working on it for over 120 years!!  I think they are using some medieval techniques and that there was a fire so they had to do some repairs, but that is still a very long time!!  It is a beautiful building, but my heart belong to St. Patrick's!





After finishing up at the Cathedral, we headed to Grant's tomb.  It is a beautiful building, as is true of much of New York City.


I loved the ceiling at Grant's tomb.

I think this is one of the buildings at Columbia (I know it is a bell tower), but I don't  remember.  I guess that is what happens when you blog six weeks after doing something, haha!

We drove through Harlem and saw the Apollo Theather and Bill Clinton's offices from the tour bus before heading down to Lower Manhattan for lunch in Little Italy.  When I took the tour the first time, we didn't stop at St. John the Divine or Grant's Tomb, but we did stop in Central Park.  I had planned on taking Mom and Dad back to Central Park for a long day of walking so it didn't matter that we didn't stop this time.  After our yummy lunch, we headed to the South Street Seaport for our boat tour!  The boat tour was exactly the same.  We started going north to see the Brooklyn Bridge, then headed south and around the tip of lower Manhattan towards the Hudson River, then north again to about Mid-town Manhattan before heading back down to do a loop near Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.

Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Mom and I on the boat!

View of lower Manhattan

Another view of lower Manhattan

The train station in Jersey where many of immigrants went to start their new lives in the USA

Ellis Island 

Statue of Liberty



After finishing the boat tour, we headed to Top of the Rock.  It was another cruddy day and there were tons of winds and clouds.  We hid on the floor that is enclosed in glass so that we see the city and not be blown away!!






he Strand
Times Square looks so small from here!!
After finishing up our tour, we decided to head to Union Square.  I used to spend a lot of time here and wanted to show Mom and Dad.  We headed to Nordstrom Rack and I happened to find $279.00 work pants for $27.00: I love this Rack!!  Anyway, we headed to Max Brenner's for dinner.  I thought we would end up  having some yummy deserts, but we were all too full!  We headed to my favorite book store in the world after dinner: The Strand.

No comments:

Post a Comment