Monday, July 23, 2012

New York, New York Day 6: Finally Graduation

Since we decided to stay in Queens (near where I used to live), we had to get to Manhattan then catch the NJ transit train and a taxi to get to the Izod Center for graduation.  However, considering we were doing our  vacationing in New York City and not Jersey, it made the most sense to stay in New York (and besides, I'm familiar with the subways in New York so we could easily get around the city).  Anyway, we had to be in Jersey by 8:30, which basically amounted to sitting around and waiting for something to happen.  I was so excited when it finally started! The ceremony was okay, but I was very disappointed that they combined the Vet and Med schools graduation into one ceremony.  I think they are both such big accomplishments that they deserve their own ceremony.  I could care less about the goat that they tried to save and I am sure they don't care much about ethical decisions in palliative medicine. Parts of the ceremony were good, like the Medical School dean's speech; but overall, it was just a very long ceremony.  Nonetheless, when it was my turn to walk, I was so excited and proud (I was especially proud that I didn't trip in my beautiful 5-inch heels!!)

A picture of the stage and where the graduates would sit from Mom and Dad's vantage point.

Walking in

All 700 docs and vets

I was SO happy to have my diploma holder, even though I already had my doctorate sitting at home!  It was weird hearing Dr. Nicole as I walked across the stage.
  
Photo Op outside the venue.  Can you see my beautiful 5-inch heels??  

I bet you can tell I'm wearing giant heels now considering that I'm only a half inch taller than Mom usually!

The best looking Dad at the graduation!

Giant Nicole and her 5-inch heels and awesome Doctor hat towering above the family

Now just the doctor hat and heels!! They are beautiful!!
 After we returned to civilation, I mean New York, (haha), we decided that we needed something to eat.  I had wanted to go to a wine bar near Herald Square for a long time, but I couldn't get anyone to go with me when I lived in New York so we decided to go (NJ Transit drops off at Penn station so it was about 6 blocks to walk).  It was Ayza Wine & Chocolate Bar!!  It was so yummy!!!  I wish I would have taken a picture of the truffles we had after lunch because they were amazing.  This is another place that I will have to revisit if I go back to New York City!  The food and wine were both out of this world!
Two good looking people waiting for lunch!!  

 We headed back to the hotel for a well deserved nap before heading out again for dinner.  We decided to go to Hell's Kitchen because it was another place in New York City that I wanted to go to, but couldn't get anyone to go with me (and really what single girl goes to someplace named Hell's Kitchen alone, haha).  We ended up at Cara Mia, an Italian place, which was yummy!!


After dinner we walked back to Times Square for one more look around.  It is such a tourist trap and such a great place to people watch.  We also headed into an Irish Pub for one last drink before heading back to the hotel for the night.  We had such an amazing trip to New York City!!




No comments:

Post a Comment