Monday, July 28, 2008

Is it a bird, a plane or is it a flying lizard?????

Farley and I were leaving our apartments to go to a study session on Sunday morning. I was walking slightly in front of him and one of the cleaning ladies was leaning against the wall. As a medical student, obviously I was trying to determine what was wrong with her. Did she sprain her ankle? Twist her knee? Hurt her back? What was wrong??? Softly I heard her say, "be careful" and out of no where I saw a 20 pound lizard walking near the garbage on the third floor landing. These lizards don't really hurt people (at least that I know of), but I'm not going to get in one of these lizard's way! So I stopped about ten feet from the lizard right before I heard a big "THUMP!" Farley rushed up to see if the lizard was okay. It was scurrying off into the grass, so I guess it is okay. I'm not at Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (they are located on the island of St. Kitts) so I don't know if lizards usually fall from 30 feet in the air or how unusual it is. It is perfectly obvious that I wasn't going to grab my stethoscope and give the giant lizard a full physical exam to make sure he was okay! Farley and I are lucky we weren't just a few minutes earlier. I think a flying lizard could give any one an anxiety attack!

Here is a picture of a similar sized lizard that Farley took a few months ago. There is one lives near the seaside deck on campus, but our flying lizard lives in the tree near our apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment