Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Change Would Do You Good

I feel like such a whiner this semester, but I'm so tired and ready to be done. Our final exam is on Friday and I've been doing my best to stay focused and review, but it's been surprisingly hard. This semester was no where near as academically challenging as the previous four; however, it was challenging in different ways. Our schedule was constantly changing which made planning study time extremely difficult--we even had emails sent at midnight several times changing things and one email giving us our schedule at 4:00 am! They tried to be very clear about expectations, but within the last week they changed the entire grading scheme. Things that were not even listed on the original grading scheme and syllabus were added (weeks after we submitted them). I'm so grateful that I took a lot of time with the projects that were not listed on the original syllabus, especially given this change. One good thing about all of these changes and about going to an international medical school in general is that one becomes very adapt at rolling with the punches. The Sheryl Crow song, "A Change Would Do You Good," could have been my theme song this semester.

I know I've complained a lot, but it wasn't a horrible semester: I loved working in the clinics and working with patients. If the semester was more organized, it probably would have been the best semester we've had so far. I think part of my whining about the semester was because I had SUCH high expectations for the semester. Obviously, I set myself up for disaster--if I just would have expected a so-so or even a bad semester, the last few months would have surpassed my expectations. I guess perspective is everything!

Our school requires 10 semesters of medical school to earn the MD degree (it adds up to 4 years total--no summers off). As of Friday, I will be 5/10th of the way done!!! Time flies when you are reading huge text books!

No comments:

Post a Comment