Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday in Spokane: All Over Town

Friday, we got to sleep in (well, Farley slept in, I was so excited to get home I was sleeping maybe 6 hours a night). We went to the beauty supply houses where I bought some more makeup and Farley bought a professional grade clipper. Now he can open his own amateur barber shop! We had lunch with Crystal at C.I. Shenanigans and sat outside because it was such a beautiful day. I completely forgot to get a picture with Crystal, but here is a picture of the view from the patio, right on the centennial trail.


It was a wonderful lunch and even better company. Next, we headed down to Aunties to look over books before I had to go to a nurse practitioner's appointment. Luckily, the Nurse Practitioner was on time, which at this office is a miracle. I tried to make an appointment with my doctor, but was told he wasn't in the office. Funny thing, I spent as more time in the hallway talking to him about my upcoming boards and my first 2+ years of medical school as I did with the Nurse Practitioner. I have no problem with Nurse Practitioners, but I just love my personal doctors. This physician took really good care of me when I had problems with my asthma in college, so I would have preferred to see him over a Nurse Practitioner that I don't know. Oh well!!

After the appointment, we headed over to my friend Kelly’s house to meet her little girl, Abigail. She is one of the cutest one month olds, I’ve ever seen! We had such a fun time visiting with Kelly and Gabe (her husband). I would post a picture of little Abigail, but I don't post pictures of other people's kids without permission and I forgot to email Kelly to ask her if it was okay. Just take me word on it, Abigail is cute!

Later that night, we went downtown to a new piano bar, Gibliano Brothers. I’ve been to piano bars in Las Vegas, Seattle and San Francisco—in fact, piano bars are my favorite. I love singing along and getting right into the show. In Las Vegas, I was under a spot light and serenaded for my 22nd birthday. In San Francisco, Mary got up and sang with the pianoist. In fact, Mary was so good that the pianist got her contact information in case he needed a female singer at a show. I don’t think there is anything Mary can’t do—but that is another topic completely. Anyway, Gibliano Brothers was fun, but most of the people in the bar were quiet. A piano bar isn’t fun if the audience isn’t singing. Since I’ve been so a few of these places, I know the lyrics to almost all of the typical songs, “Piano Man”, “American Pie”, “Copacabana”, “Saturday Night is Alright For Fighting”, “Friends in Low Places” and “Rocket Man” just to name a few. Really, I even surprised myself at my ability to remember the lyrics to all of these songs at the first tickle of the ivories. I think that people in the crowd in Spokane, didn’t realize that they are suppose to be feisty, sing and dance at a piano bar. Most of the time, they were just looking at each other. Good thing Mom, Dad, Farley and I were there to liven the mood. We sang, danced in our seats and participated the whole time we were there. Heck, maybe I should apply for a job there after I finish medical school before starting residency…I did have a piano scholarship in college, but I suspect people at a piano bar don’t want to hear Chopin. After the piano bar, we went to the Davenport Tower and had a Thai Chicken flat bread that was, as expected, excellent.





Above: Farley and me at Gibliano Brother's

Below: An Artsy picture of Mom at Gibliano Brother's (note: it just about takes a miracle to get a picture of Dad...he is hiding in the darkness to Mom's right)

No comments:

Post a Comment