Saturday, September 19, 2009

Let's Play the Word Game: Anatomy

This week I've been reviewing anatomy for the Step. When I say I'm reviewing anatomy this week I really should elaborate. I'm reviewing microscopic and macroscopic anatomy and development, which really means that I'm covering histology, anatomy, neuroscience and embryology. It has really reminded my why I have no desire to become a neurologist. I feel like neuroscience is a language that others speak fluently and I do not. It is like someone understanding enough Spanish to go on vacation or study abroad, but that person doesn't feel like they know enough about the language to understand all the nuances of Spanish poetry. That is how I feel about neuroscience. I understand, but unlike many of my peers, I'm not all that excited about it. I think part of my distaste for neuroscience is that all of the anatomical names are really big and hard to pronounce or it sounds more like a little girl's name and than anatomical name. In fact, Farley and I have noticed a trend across all medical nomenclature: some of it just doesn't seem to fit in. Thus, I've decided to do a series of blog posts that I'm going to call the word game. I'll give you a set a words and I want you to try and guess which word is NOT part of the medical nomenclature. Basically, which one of these is not like the others.

In the following list of words (lettered A-H because supposedly we get up to 7-13 answer choices on the USMLE) try and guess which word is NOT a name for something found in the adult human body (I'll do an embryo quiz later).

A. Olive
B. Lumbricals
C. Pyramid
D. Chordae Tendinae
E. Kasseri
F. Pylorus
G. Supinator
H. Gastrocnemius

I'll post the answer and explanations to all the answer choices in a few days! Let me know which you think is NOT found in the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment