Monday, November 2, 2009

Bagger!

Farley and I take turns buying groceries and today it was my turn. We loaded up everything onto the conveyor belt and said hello to the Cashier and to the Bagger. As we said hello, the Bagger replied, "Well this should be interesting, who is going to pay?" I got out my wallet and the Bagger then looked Farley in the eye and declared that "men should pay for food." I told him it was my turn. Then the Bagger told me that, "Men should pay for food and women should stay home and cook." I don't think there is anything wrong with women staying at home, but obviously, that isn't for me. I looked at him and informed him that was I halfway though medical school and I wouldn't be staying at home anytime soon to cook all day, besides I owe so much in student loans I couldn't quit now even if I wanted too (which I don't). Then Bagger looks at me and said something like, "Well what does he (Farley) do all day?" When I replied that he is halfway through medical school too, I don't think the Bagger knew what to say next. At that point, I needed to finish paying and Farley had to deal with him. After we left the store, Farley and I discussed Bagger a little more. I think Bagger probably had a low IQ making him slightly mentally retarded (I'm not typing that to be politically incorrect, but it still says mentally retarded in medical text books not special needs). Also, I'm not just saying that because he thinkgs women shouldn't work; I really think using the medical knowledge that I have obtained since starting medical school that Bagger has a low IQ (and Farley agreed). If Farley and I are correct, I'm very happy that Bagger found a job and that he is able to be somewhat independent. If not, well, I wish he would stop irritating people in line and the nice cashier lady.

Many times Farley and I have been out and people asked what we do. We usually try to respond that we are in school and inevitably we are asked about what we are studying. When we say that we are third year medical students, there have been several people (in Miami) who have actually said, "That is wonderful.. He is going to be a doctor and you will be a nurse!" Nurses are great and it is a wonderful profession, but I didn't go all the way to a Caribbean medical school to be a nurse. It really irks me that people assume because I'm a woman I can't/won't be a physician. Living in Miami is like living in a different world sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment