Monday, November 2, 2009

Lentil Soup and Beef Stew

On Mondays, I try to do most of my cooking for the week since Mondays are our day off while we are studying for Step 1. Farley is fairly easy to cook for because when he decides he likes something, he will eat it every day. I, on the other hand, like some variety. Recently, he has decided that he wants lentil soup and beef stew. The beef stew I can understand because he loves meat, but I was a bit surprised about the lentil soup. I asked him why he wanted lentils so much this fall and I thought his response would be something like, "My mom made it when I was a kid." I was wrong. One of our Kaplan video lecturers said that fiber inhibits the uptake of cholesterol from the gastrointestinal tract, which is basically how drugs known as bile acid sequestrates work. Farley decided that we should eat more fiber and lentils are extremely high in fiber. I wanted to do something different this week but he really wants to make sure that our cholesterol is kept in check, so we are having lentil soup again. He was so excited to get more lentil soup and beef stew that he chopped veggies, beef and helped me cook for an hour. I took a few pictures, but I don't know if the pictures look as good as it tastes.



Above: Double batch of Beef Stew
Below: Lentil Soup (many lentils were at the bottom of the Tupperware)

No comments:

Post a Comment