Friday, November 20, 2009

USMLE Step 1: Check

Yesterday was the day: USMLE Step 1. I've been dreading this exam since before I was accepted to medical school. I always thought that if I could pass that exam, I can do anything. Well, I've at least finished it. I barely sleep the night before (or the night before the night before). I was up at 6:45, got ready, and headed out the door. We had to drive north on the Palmetto past Miami. Luckily, it went okay. We arrived at the center to take the exam a half hour before our slot. We checked in and headed to the back. They take your picture, fingerprints, review your ID and your paperwork. After all of that, you are assigned to a computer and are allowed to start your exam. You are given a tutorial about the software, then you start the seven blocks (one hour each) and 45 minutes of breaks. If you finish a block early, than that extra time goes to your break time. Break time also includes the time it takes to check out and recheck in (check ID, check finger prints, and sign in and out). I'm really glad that I had done four full length practice exams because this day was just something else. I've never been so tired. It is shocking how tiring it can be to think all day and obviously the questions were very difficult and there is a lot on the line with this exam. Anyway, I think it went okay. I'm really glad to have it behind me and I'm really glad to sleep and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment