Friday, December 5, 2008

Argentina is in the news again...

I think anyone who has read my blog since August realizes that I fell in LOVE with Buenos Aires. In fact, during a five minute brain break last night I looked at pictures of Argentina on my P.C. and I could feel the brisk air, the coffee on my lips, the sales on handbags, shoes, just about anything and the love (the Argentine people are very affectionate!). Much to my excitement, I saw an article about Argentina on Slate today and obviously had to read it. Well, all of those sales in Buenos Aires are not just because the shops are locally owned (but that plays a big role), it is also because the economy crashed a few years ago and they don't have all of the wrinkles worked out. Which, as a tourist is why you can stay at amazing hotels, eat at great restaurants, and shop so reasonable (after the air fair that is). Apparently it has also played a role in the revival of the Argentine cinema, which is winning many awards. Anyway, the article is talking about their money and that people are hording the coins and smaller notes (Farley and I both ended up with a few coins and paper pesos). I sure didn't realize that we had such a hot commodity when we begrudgingly left that wonderful country. Here is a picture of a 100 peso note, courtesy of Farley:


I feel an excuse to post another picture or two of Argentina!!


Oh, I love Argentina...

No comments:

Post a Comment