Friday, June 5, 2009

Rain, Rain Go Away, Come Again Some Other Day!!


As you can see, Miami hasn't been all sun and rays lately. It has been raining intermittently for weeks now and by rain I really mean a shower. I probably could wear a bathing suit, take my shampoo outside and take shower!! This picture is from my balcony about two or three minutes after the rain started. It continued at this rate for a half hour, but continued raining for a few hours. Last night, I was lying in bed thinking, "Why is the living room light flashing?" Well, It was yet another lightening storm, big shock. The rain in Miami is more intense than in Dominica, which was a rainforest. It was this way the last time I lived here too!

I am on a stretch of 7-days of classes in a row. Some days were sort and others long. Here was my schedule of classes for last week.

  • Sunday: ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) training and testing (yes, I can run a code)
  • Monday: BTLS (Basic Trauma and Life Support): Just four hours of training and Medical Spanish--Hola!
  • Tuesday: Ophthalmic exam practice with Junior Faculty
  • Wednesday: Large Group class in Downtown Miami all day and Medical Spanish at night
  • Thursday: Small Group class, where we discussed a patient case and pathology
  • Friday: BTLS day two

Tomorrow, we get to do the BTLS day three, which includes practical skills and another exam. Doctors, medical students, and pretty much anyone else in the medical field get to take exams all the time. I'll be testing until the day I retire from practicing medicine, decades from now. Anyway, we get to learn to place IV lines in mannequins, IO lines in chicken bones, suturing and stapling pig legs, drawing blood, IM injection, intubation, placing patients on back-boards and moving them off the back-boards, placing folly catheters in males and female mannequins, and the ever exciting---delivering mannequin babies! Yes, that is correct, I am going to deliver mannequin babies tomorrow. I understand how practicing stapling and suturing on pig legs will be helpful when I get to actually suture on a patient, but delivering mannequin babies?? I'm not sure that can be practiced as easily as the other skills, but I am going to be the best mannequin baby delivering person that the mannequin has ever had delivering her mannequin baby!

I also had to finish my enormous paper this week and boy it was a dozy. I'm so glad that it is done and I know that I did the best I could. It was an especially difficult paper because I can't explain how my patient had bilateral paralysis and bilateral sensory loss below the knee. This is not typical of a stroke and based on the history I received from my patient with dementia, I can't explain why. That is just one problem that I ran into writing this paper. Anyway, as I said, I'm glad it is finished.

I better go get some sleep so that I'm on top of things tomorrow; I have mannequin babies to deliver!!

No comments:

Post a Comment