Tuesday, January 8, 2008

All Hail the Chief


Today we had our first full day of orientation on the island. It really wasn't anything too different than in Miami, but I got a kick out of some of the staff. The security chief was one of my favorites. Not because of what he said but because of the "Cool Runnings" accent. Apparently, he won't just throw the book at you if you break the law, he will give the police your address. People were getting nervous, especially when he was talking about the cannabis. I think we should all Hail the Chief and his intolerance of illegal activity! Someone asked if self defense is acceptable on this island and reasonable self defense is acceptable. Farley said that this means that I can't beat the crud out of someone with my Maglite if they enter my apartment because beating people with a giant, metal flashlight is unreasonable. I guess the criminals should stay away...Hail the Chief


I am again writing all of you from the deck out side our subway on campus, while looking at the Caribbean Sea and listening to the gentle waves. I hear that Spokane is having an especially cold and snowy winter and suspect that no one will feel sorry for me, as I have many insect bites in the 85 degree weather of Dominica.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm.....I'm looking out my window at beautiful...white..sandy...uh, SNOWY!...who am I kidding, I WISH I was at the beach :) We are suppost to get 8" of new Snow TONIGHT!!!!! I do have to say I am verrry satisfied knowing that you are covered in bug bites ;P
    MISS YA , Love Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole and Farley, It looks so beautiful where you are. Sounds like you had a great time in Texas with Farleys family. It is 9:30pm Tuesday here what time is it there? I am so proud of Jesse and you. Seems like yesterday you where both little. Thanks for sharing with us on your adventure! talk to you soon Patty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Patty and Crystal!

    Thanks for writing. Things are going well down here, except for the bites. We don't start classes until Monday so I've had a lot of free time. Farley and I are taking a tour of the Island on Saturday, which should be amazing. It is ten hours! We start classes on Monday (14th), have our white coat ceremony on Friday (18th) and are going whale watching on Saturday the 19th. After next week, we will have much less time for fun!

    It was fun to hear from you both. I have a cell phone, but it is expensive to call to the US. However, all of my incoming calls are free (which is weird, but I'm not complaining). Mom has the number if you want to call.

    Talk to you soon,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete