Monday, January 21, 2008

Whale Watching and a Lobster

Apparently, Farley gets sea sick just about every time he gets on a boat. Too bad I didn't know that BEFORE I got excited and signed us up for whale watching. For those of you who remember, I get sea sick very easily as well, but my new best friend Dramamine has alleviated this motion sickness and allowed me to enjoy all of the exciting wonders of Dominica. Well, Farley and I took our Dramamine....one of us enjoined the whale watching.

The blue water was different than anything I've ever seen before. In spots it was cobalt blue, in others it was a bright sky blue and still in others it was a deep royal blue. I believe that the colors had to do with the depth of the water. We didn't get to see any whales...okay we didn't a dolphin, a turtle or even fish; however, we got to lay on the netting of the boat with the wind below and above us, the Caribbean Sea splashing upon us periodically, and the sun warming us. I felt great on the boat! I knew that there was a chance that I could get a bit sun burnt; but since I didn't have any pinkness to my skin I thought I was okay (I did realize that I wouldn't feel warm because of the breeze).

After returning to Gilligan's Island following our three hour tour, I became more and more pink. Approximately two hours after the tour, I looked like a pink little lobster. That's right. For all of you who enjoy mocking my beautiful, pale, snow white skin....It's not so pale any more! between the insect bites and burn, I am quite colorful now!

3 comments:

  1. HI Nicole: I just read your blog on whale watching. I'd like to say I'm sorry you have burnt skin but since the high today in Spokane was 25 degrees. I wish I could say I had sun burnt skin instead of frost bite. It looked like you and Farley were having fun. What a beautiful place to go to school. I also just read the Hippocratic oath. That is something to live up to, but I know you will. Take care. Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi NIcole, I second Val's comment :) It is FREEZING..well freezing is still to warm..it is just flat out cold here right now, into the negative's at night! BRRRR!!! At least looking at your pictures warms me up, I can pretend I'm on my own little balcony overlooking the ocean drinking Rum....Then I look out my window and I see water front property: although the water is in the form of ice and it's 3" thick on the roads :( hmmm, sence I'm not at the beach right NOW,I guess I'll stay in my warm little house drinking a hot spiced wine concoction that was passed my direction :) it is very tasty! Miss ya lots, hope Farly had a speedy recovery once he got his land legs back ;)
    ~ Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks fo rall your support Val. It's so nice to hear from peole at home!!

    Crystal--I even have my favorite four year old mad at me. Apparently, when she saw Mom today she declared, "It ISN'T FAIR! Why does Cole get to be in the summer when I'm stuck here. It's only ZERO and it's 85 where she is!" I can't believe I've even have the pre-school crowd mad at me! Sorry about the chilly weather. If it makes you feel better, I just got another mosquiteo bite.

    ReplyDelete