Wednesday, January 9, 2008

OH WATER


I have heard many horror stories about this little island, especially the water and electricity. I'm pretty lucky that my hot water is covered by my rent and seems to be working. In fact, it may be working too well. There were some water problems in my hotel/apartment complex last night. I was very glad that I had enough water to brush my teeth and wash my face. Unfortunately, it was so hot, it was almost boiling. I tried to take a shower, but I just couldn't do it. It was better this morning, but the water pressure was still down. It is still better than my friends who have been taking cold showers since arriving in Dominica.


The sunsets the last few nights have been amazing. It is so beautiful around here...even if I have hives from the insect bites! I asked the woman at "James' Store" (the local hardware, electronic and grocery store) if there was a local anti-bug remedy. She suggested "Bay Rum," which is some sort of herb. I feel like a hippie wearing pachouli; however, if it keeps the bugs off, I'll wear it all the time and become a flower child.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole,
    All of your pictures or soo beautiful, and very relaxing...I hope you and Farley have a great time on your tour, I'm excited to hear all about it :) Enjoy the sun for me, it might be a while before we see it again around here :)
    ~ Crystal

    ReplyDelete