Saturday, January 26, 2008

Death Becomes Her....

We had the first of many cadaver labs this week. My class of about 500 is separated into three groups, within those groups there are four pods, and twenty bodies. Therefore, about 5-6 people are dissecting the body at a time. There are two dissections per week, but only one group disects at a time (although everyone is responsible for all of the information from all the dissections). This works out to each group disecting once every week and a half.

I thought that I would dread the lab, but so far, I have to admit, I like it. It is really interesting to feel muscles and ligaments, to see nerves, to hold the spinal chord, to compare arteries and veins (if you squeeze an artery it keeps it's shape; but if you squeeze a vein it will flatten out). I am the only female in my lab group. I want to show that I know just as much, if not more than they do. I think I was successful this week. There were a couple of pushy people in my group (as always) and I knew my information as well or better than they did, so I was able to hold my ground. In fact, I was able to field questions from the professors that they were not able to do. I feel like it's me against them, which I know isn't true. I guess if it motivates me, than it is okay.

Actually, one of the best things about Ross University is that students are REALLY helpful. There is a camaraderie amongst us. We are so isolated on this little island, which I think has helped cultivate this culture of help. Many medical schools are notorious for being a dog eat dog, tell someone the wrong answer so you score higher on the curve, steal your neighbor's notes kind of place that it is nice to be here where everyone wants everyone else to succeed. Upper class man even ask what semester you are so that they can give you old, electronic notes and study guides. That is almost unheard of other places. For example, I was in the anatomy lab and saw student A looking for a structure. Student B, in the semester ahead of student A, stopped her own review to help the student A. It is amazing.

Back to the cadaver lab. It is an interesting experience. Apparently, it costs $15,000 per cadaver to prepare them and bring them to the Commonwealth of Dominica. After that, the University has to pay to keep a staff to keep them in prime condition in addition to the facilities (which are top notch). Many medical schools are going away from the cadaver lab: they are expensive and bodies are hard to come by. It should be noted that a disadvantage of the cadaver lab is that the structures have a bit of a different texture due to the embalming process (I'm sure there are many other disadvantages that I don't know about). Nonetheless, nothing can replace actually getting your hands on a body and both seeing and feeling it. Things make so much more sense when you can actually see the structures and how they relate to each other. Even the best text, can't replace the experience (computer models are in the works, but I don't think they are available yet).

My gentleman is a 58 year old, African American man who died of pancreatic cancer. He has BEAUTIFUL back muscles. I think it is because he is SO young and usually pancreatic cancer is a quick death. I was surprised to see him when I opened the bag. When I think of someone who donates a cadaver, I think of a VERY elderly person that died of old age with kyphosis (often referred to as a "humpback" appearance, which is caused by the exaggeration posture curvature of the spine, usually in the thoracic region). This probably sounds very strange, but my cadaver looks like a real, LIVE person. He doesn't have muscle atrophy, his hands are in a natural position, and his skin is still shockingly soft (many of the cadavers dry out and get very hard). Sometimes I look down and have to remind myself, he is dead (but it hasn't stopped me from talking to him when no one is within ear shot). They say that your cadaver is your first patient, they aren't kidding.

The cadaver lab is really an amazing gift. I suspect that most of these people wanted to be organ donors but, for whatever reason, could not. If you can't donate your organs, I guess the next best thing is to train physicians. Think of all the patients that will be positively effected, maybe even saved, by the altruistic gift of those who gave their bodies.

On a lighter note, Farley and I got our barrels on Tuesday night. We sure packed a lot of stuff in there. When we were packing them in Miami, I fell into the barrel. Luckily, I managed to get myself out before Farley noticed. I told him about it later and he was so sad he missed it. After weeks of pleading, I gave him a re-enactment. Please see the picture for a good laugh. Note that I'm not even half way down the barrel. They are VERY big (75 gallons).



Today, we went to the market at 600 (who gets to sleep in on the weekends anyway). Unfortunately, it wasn't my day. I lost my sunglasses. I LOVED them and I'm very sad. They were Serengeti sunglasses, which are AMAZING. Luckily, I have recruited Dad into finding me a new pair and shipping them down here. I will buy a cheap pair down here to get me by, which will increase my appreciation for my brown lens sunglasses. Next, my mag light fell out of my bag. Now those things are made to be both a flashlight and a nightstick so they are tough, but the light bulb isn't so tough. It broke. I think I can pick up a replacement bulb down here. Then, I went to make breakfast and it was down right horrible. I'm a good cook, but I think today just isn't my day. I've decided to stay out of the cadaver lab today, as I don't want to loose anything in the cadaver!! (I had a professor who lost her glasses in the abdomen of a cadaver...I think that is when it is time to go shopping).

2 comments:

  1. I love this entry!!!!! Thanks for th insight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom. I'm glad that you enjoy reading about my cadiver as much as I enjoy talking about him.

    ReplyDelete