Sunday, January 27, 2008

Genetics...Are you a mouse or a man?

I'm reviewing my genetics lectures from last week. I REALLY like genetics. It is incredibly interesting and it makes sense to me. It isn't like enzyme kinetics...who really cares if it is non-competitive or an uncompetitive inhibitor (well other than me because I have to pass the exams). Moreover, who came up with the stupid inhibitor names: competitive, uncompetitive, non-competitive, mixed and suicide (which really is a kamikaze inhibitor because the enzyme doesn't commit suicide...it's killed). Don't get me wrong, I realize that I need to understand enzymes and that they play a big role in pharmacology, but they still aren't that interesting.

Since genetics is the coolest ever, I thought I'd write a little note to my blog. Did you know that mice and humans have approximately the same amount of genes in our genome, which is about 30,000 genes. Does it make you wonder how we can be so different? Well, humans are able to make MANY proteins from gene where as mice are only able to make a few proteins. In fact, humans get about 1,000,000 proteins form the 30,000 genes. That's right, we get about ONE MILLION proteins from THIRTY THOUSAND genes. Are you wondering how we do this? Well, humans have many means of post-translational modifications (modifications to the RNA before it is transcribed into proteins).

I think that is enough of a very simplified introduction to the wonderful world of the human genome. I know that you are jealous: I get to keep studying this the rest of the afternoon and your tutorial is done. If you can't keep your excitement to yourself, let me know and I will give you references so you can start your own adventure in genetics!

No comments:

Post a Comment