Sunday, April 18, 2010

Thursday

The end of last week was crazy. Thursday, we started out at Dr. Hardcore's second office at 9:25. This office is about 15-20 minutes away from the main office and the hospital where he practices most of the time. We saw a few patients with the doctor. I got to see a couple that had a baby the first day of my rotation. The little girl is so beautiful that I think she will be the next Ms. Venezuela.

After seeing the patients, we went to Boston Market to grab a bite to eat then we rushed to the hospital. There was a c-section planned, but it got started a few hours late. It was my turn to scrub in and I decided I was going to ask to help out this time. After opening the patient and getting the little girl out, I asked Doctor Hardcore if I could suture. He let me suture the fascia layer. For those of you who don't know, the fascia layer is one of the most important layers. It is the connective tissue that keep the abdomen from herniating out. I thought I would do a stitch or two, but I did the entire layer. After getting the patient back to the recovery room, Farley and I had to rush to our lecture on breasts. We were a little late and apologized to the professor, who didn't care because he thinks the world of Dr. Hardcore. After class, we headed back to Dr. Hardcore's office, which is at the hospital. As usual, it was a full house so we helped out as much as we could. We left his office at about 10:30 because a patient needed a c-section. It was the other medical student's turn to scrub in, so Farley and I observed. We stayed and helped get her to recovery. By the time we finished at the hospital and were sent home, it was 12:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment